Chicken Noodle Soup for the Soul gave me a sense of normalcy that I couldn’t quite figure out in my middle school years. The stories were stories that a freshly turned teenager needed to hear. Here are some of my favorite lines from the book.
1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it will be yours for the entire period of this time around.
Now I was always the chubby overweight girl and I still am. I would work out for hours during the day and still could not shed the fat on my body. It’s something I am learning to love everyday while working on my health over all.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called Life. Each day in this school you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think they’re irrelevant and stupid.
Can you say, facts? You don’t just learn about life from school. Everyday is a new lesson that you can’t get from a formal education.
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error: Experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately “works.”
I am 50/50 On this one. While I do believe mistakes are lessons, not every mistake was meant for growth. Sometimes failures lead to the worst heart breaks, that I wish could be avoided.
4. A lesson is repeated until learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can then go on to the next part of life that does not end. No part of life does not contain its lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned.
I do believe this one. You have to own up to your mistakes and if you continue them you won’t be able to grow. In order for growth to occur, you need to learn from your mistakes.
5. “There” is no better than “here.” When your “there” has become a “here,” you will simply obtain another “there” that will again look better than “here.”
Be in the moment or don’t be there at all. There’s always going to be a place you wish you were but how will you experience life if you do not live in the moment?
6. Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects something you love or hate about yourself.
If you have ever heard of the saying you can’t love someone else until you love yourself, then this one’s for you.
7. What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
I get it, it’s hard doing this. I still struggle with making myself a happy life every single day. But it is true, you can either be miserable or change things around in your life to make yourself happy.
8. Your answers lie inside you. The answers to Life’s questions lie inside you. All you need to do is look, listen and trust.
If you can’t believe in yourself, who else will?
9. You will forget all this.
I absolutely did not forget any of this.
I am obsessed with this passage and suggest anyone of a young age read it. It’s already hard being young as it is, but trying to figure out yourself during your early teens is a whole different type of struggle. Even if you’re an adult, I suggest checking this book out.
check out my podcast episode on it https://anchor.fm/christine-nicole-thompson/episodes/Chicken-Noodle-Soup-for-the-Soul-ep20dg